Tuesday, April 2, 2024

In Memoriam: Ai Loves



This is the first post of its kind, and hopefully the last.  Ai Loves (Ai is Japanese for "love/affection"; the "Love love" was a very typical joke for her) was the penname of a woman who was very private about her real identity for many reason.  I reviewed her book and gave it a very qualified review because it explores a lot of kinks that I don't share and I will freely admit I find some a bit baffling, but that's not really a problem.  That review was the genesis of a very odd friendship.  Ai was a fascinating person with a wide array of experiences and skills.  She could brainstorm an entire fictional world in no time at all. It was amazing and a bit awe inspiring.  She was fluent in multiple languages and helped me dip by toe in kanji for some art purposes.

Unfortunately, Ai had a great many health issues, which frequently manifested as personality quirks.  She was stunningly self-aware of these issues, and would freely admit to them and explain them if asked. She knew that her problems would lead to her untimely death, and she accepted that fact with a grace and dignity that I can only hope to emulate if I am ever in a similar situation.

I think the thing that I will remember most about her is her unfailing Grace and Generosity. She was always willing to give you some of her precious time, and listen with grace to your problems.

I do, and will miss talking to her.  She helped me with a game I was running at a convention and as a "thank you" I added a character for her.  She picked a Tenuki and I had to dip into eBay to find a suitable miniature.  Below is her tribute mini.  The kanji on the kimono is Ai.

May you find Grace, Healing, and Peace Ai.  I hope to see you on the other side.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Author Interview: Cebelius

Cebelius was interviewed by Tess Irondale, and I can't say I'm very familiar with Tess but she does a great job with the interview, ...