Wednesday, June 12, 2024

In Memorium: The best man I've ever known



So last Saturday I went to a gaming event with my best friend.  I've known this man for 34 years.  He was the best man at my wedding, and I was a groomsman at his.  Our sons were born 2 months apart.  I have had to talk him down a few times when things were going sideways for him.  I'm not exaggerating when I say he saved my life when my life went sideways.

He dropped me off at my house on his way home.  He lives 3 blocks from me.  Thirty minutes later my wife hears sirens.  Pulse Point says it's at his house.  Their neighbor texts my wife that one of his sons (5 kids) is in the front yard hugging the neighbor. That was enough to send me down there.

He had called 911 before handing off the phone to his  15 year old daughter, then collapsed.  She started CPR on him, and switched off with his 20 year old son.

The EMT's worked on him for an hour before taking him to the ambulance.  His wife was out of town at a work conference, and she asked me to go to the hospital with him. I took his 20 year old son with me and he was pronounced dead almost as soon as we got there.  I will never forget the anguish in his son's voice when he screamed "You mean he's fucking dead?!!!   Why!?  I'm only 20, what the fuck am I going to do now?!"

My wife said I may have gotten 5 more kids, and honestly I'm ok with that.  We mutually pledged to take care of each other's families if anything happened, and I guess it happened.

I'm not sure when CBR will pick back up, but now you know why it just stopped.

Fair winds and following seas my friend.  I will see you on the other side. You will be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

In Memorium: The best man I've ever known

So last Saturday I went to a gaming event with my best friend.  I've known this man for 34 years.  He was the best man at my wedding, an...