Friday, January 26, 2024

Review: Krieg Chess

Title: Krieg Chess: A SciFi LitRPG Adventure

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CR9FQRYD/
 

Author: Phil Tucker

Rating: 3.5/5

Comments: I picked this up because it was recommended on the Warformed reddit.  I have sampled Phil's stuff previously and it didn't grab me.  I actually finished this one, so yay I guess.

Krieg Chess borrows from the venerable "People are living chess pieces" concept and adds in power armor and LitRPG elements.  The result is ok.  I mean the idea is kind of interesting, but the logic of it is questionable.  To go back to the first example of this I can think of, which is Chessmen of Mars.  The Chessmen were slaves and if they didn't fight they were executed.  In this case, what's the motivation to risk your life playing this game?  How does this make sense?   The world is clearly dystopian from the parts of it we see, but there's nothing in the bits we see that would explain why a society would expend significant resources and time to play a game when survival is threatened.

Beyond that, the characters are just ok.  There are some parts I found fairly identifiable and even admirable, but there's a lot of points where I find myself confused by the protagonist.  

It didn't suck, but I doubt I'll read book 2.

Bedroom Activities: None

================================

FTB/Explicit/None – Fade to black bedroom activities vs “Onscreen” vs No activities

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Guardian of Aster Fall Book 7

Title: World Seal (Guardian of Aster Fall Book 7) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CG15JTYB/ Author: David North Rating: 3.5/5 Comment...