Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Review: Brambles and Thorns

Title: Brambles and Thorns (The Infinite World Book 4)


Author: J.T. Wright

Rating: 3/5

Comments:  I had to let myself cool off for a day after finishing this one, and then I went back and looked at my review of the first three books.  Now I can probably write this without descending into a froth of profanity and invective.

This book was around a 4/5, right up until the last page.  To say the end was abrupt would be a massive understatement.  I literally redownloaded the book and checked it again.  Then I went on the Kindle cloud reader and looked at it there.  THEN I went on his Discord and asked if it was for real.  It was for real.  I broke a personal rule and said on the author's forum that it was a shitty way to end it.

Honestly I have rarely been so enraged by the way a book ended.  It was like 820 pages of foreplay with no happy ending.

If you liked books 1-3, I would pass on this one until book 5 is out so maybe you can get a satisfactory payoff.  Or find out where he's posting updates online and go there (I think he has a Patreon.) Based on the fact that book 4 took 14 months to produce, I wouldn't get too excited to see book 5 any time soon.

For myself, I doubt I will bother. This experience has tainted the entire series for me. 

If I just base my feelings on the first 819 pages, it wasn't bad.  Like most books that try to have multiple POV's you get dribs and drabs of the other important characters, enough to let you know they're not dead, but not enough to make them meaningful.  Cullen, Tersa, Kristin, Orion and the rest make brief appearances, but they don't do anything important.  Then you've got random scenes from people we've never seen before and don't care about and just kind of waste our time.

What a fucking disappointment.

Bedroom Activities: None

================================

FTB/Explicit/None – Fade to black bedroom activities vs “Onscreen” vs No activities

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Guardian of Aster Fall Book 7

Title: World Seal (Guardian of Aster Fall Book 7) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CG15JTYB/ Author: David North Rating: 3.5/5 Comment...